Monday 18 February 2013

Thomas Meighan

© Arthur Khales / Fondation John Kobal 
Thomas Meighan (April 9, 1879 – July 8, 1936) was an American actor of silent films and early talkies. He played several leading man roles opposite popular actresses of the day including Mary Pickford and Gloria Swanson. Read more on Wikipedia


Lowry refers to Thomas Meighan in a letter to Carol Brown dated 2nd June 1926; "Thanks awfully for the snap, GloriabetogoodnessBebedaniels-Swanson. I wish I could be a Thomas Meighan to you. But unfortunately my hair is untidy. My shoes always dirty. My face is a Z 15 model and above all - I am not Six Foot Two." (Collected Letters Vol 1 Pg. 39).

Malc's joke about gloria-be-to goodness, includes the names of the film stars Gloria Swanson and Bebe Daniels who along with Thomas Meighan starred in Cecil B. De Mille's film Male and Female 1919. Its main themes are gender relations and social class. It is based on the J. M. Barrie play "The Admirable Crichton". Read more on Malcolm Lowry @ 19th Hole

No comments:

Post a Comment