Wednesday 20 February 2013

I Never Knew (I Could Love Anybody Like I'm Loving You)


Lowry refers to the above song in a letter to Carol Brown dated April/May 1926; " Honestly, Carol, I never knew I had it in me to love somebody like I love you. I'm afraid those are more or less the words of a comic song, but in that case I take off my hat to the comic song - It expresses exactly my state of mind. I can't believe that anybody loved like me." (Collected Letters Vol 1 Pg. 18).

The song Lowry is referring to is I Never Knew (I Could Love Anybody Like I'm Loving You) written by Tom Pitts, Raymond B. Egan and Roy K. Marsh published in 1920:


I never knew I could love anybody, 
Honey, like I'm loving you; 
I couldn't realize what a pair of eyes 
And a baby smile could do; 
(Oh tell me why) I can't sleep, 
(O tell me why) I can't eat, 
(and why) I never knew 
a single soul could be so sweet, 
I never knew I could love anybody, 
Honey, like I'm loving you.

No comments:

Post a Comment